News from Principal Skinner
We have a busy week planned for our students!
- On Wednesday, May 2, our freshmen will be traveling to ENMU in Portales to take their first college tour. Students will learn valuable information about admission requirements, dorms, financial aid, etc. They will eat lunch on campus in the buffet-style cafeteria (thanks to the generous support of the Mack Chase Scholarship Foundation) and students will get a chance to see what life at college can be like.
- On Wednesday, May 2, our eighth graders will be taking a tour of the Navajo Refinery, and eating pizza provided by Navajo. Eighth grade students will also have a “Civil War educational day” here at AJHS. All of our students will be doing a lot of walking so please remind your son/daughter to wear comfortable walking shoes on Wednesday. If you have any questions or concerns about our field trips, please call our office and I will be glad to answer any questions you have.
- Our choir is having their spring scholarship choir concert at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday at the AHS Auditorium.
- Our band has their spring concert at the AHS Auditorium at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday.
- This will be the final week of our Before/After School Tutoring Program. Please encourage your child to take advantage of the extra help this week!
- Eighth grader, Alejandra Vazquez, wrote a wonderful “Extra-Mile” letter about how loving and helpful Mrs. Fontanez is. Our eighth grade English teacher, Mrs. Loretta Fontanez, is the Artesia Public Schools “Success Maker” for the month of April. She will receive a plaque, roses, and a $500 check courtesy of Tate Branch Auto Group. We appreciate Tate Branch and all the support he gives our students and staff each year!
- Our yearbooks have arrived and are for sale in the office. You can also purchase a yearbook online! You may also go directly to the vendor website and type in our school name.
Below are the tier 2 vocabulary terms for the week. I hope you have a fantastic week!
8th Grade Week 35 Vocabulary List:
- Explicit – Stated clearly in detail
- Furthermore - Also or in addition to
- Incentive – A thing that motivates or encourages one to do something
- Index - Alphabetical listing
- Input - Enter in or contribute to something
- Lecture - A talk given on a specific subject
- Ministry - Department or agency for a specific purpose
- Advocate - Supporter, backer, or promoter
- Classic - Timeless, unforgettable, or immortal
- Comprise – Consist of; made up of
9th Grade Week 35 Vocabulary:
- Digress - Wander from a direct or straight course
- Innovation - The act of starting something for the first time
- Dilemma - State of uncertainty in a choice between unfavorable options
- Intercede - Act between parties with a view to reconciling differences
- Diligent - Quietly and steadily persevering in detail or exactness
- Traumatic - Psychologically painful
- Dissent - A difference of opinion
- Valid - Well-grounded in logic or truth or having legal force
- Jeopardize - Pose a threat to; present a danger to
- Elation - A feeling of joy and pride